Frequency of Aneuploids in Progenies of Autotriploid Barley, Hordeum Vulgare L

J. Sandfær

    Research output: Contribution to journalJournal articleResearchpeer-review

    Abstract

    Chromosome counts of 863 progeny plants originating from 68 autotriploid barley plants revealed a considerable variation in chromosome numbers ranging from the diploid number (2n= 14) to 2n= 39. The most frequent groups were plants with 15 and 16 chromosomes each constituting about 27% of all progeny plants. Diploid plants and plants with 1 to 5 extra chromosomes constituted about 85% of the progeny plants. The remaining 15% had chromosome numbers from 20 to 39. Plants with the euploid numbers of chromosomes. 21, 28, and 35, were not more frequent than plants with aneuploid numbers between these groups. The results show that barley, although a diploid species, has a high tolerance for extra chromosomes.
    Original languageEnglish
    JournalHereditas (Print)
    Volume90
    Issue number2
    Pages (from-to)213-217
    ISSN0018-0661
    Publication statusPublished - 1979

    Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Frequency of Aneuploids in Progenies of Autotriploid Barley, Hordeum Vulgare L'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

    Cite this