Evaluation of Prediction of Quality Metrics for IR Images for UAV Applications

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingArticle in proceedingsResearchpeer-review

Abstract

This study presents a framework to predict, in a No Reference (NR) manner, Full Reference (FR) objective quality metrics. The methods are applied to infrared (IR) images acquired by Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) and compressed on-board and then streamed to a ground computer. The proposed method computes two kinds of features, namely Bitstream Based (BB) features which are estimated from the H.264 bitstream and Pixel Based (PB) features which are estimated from the decoded images. Two BB features are computed using the H.264 Quantization Parameter (QP) and estimated PSNR [1]. A total of 53 PB features are calculated based on spatial information and the rest of the features are based on NR quality assessment methods [1, 2, 3]. The most relevant ones are selected and nally mapped to predict FR objective scores using Support Vector Regression. For the performance evaluation, the proposed method is trained to predict scores of 6 FR image quality metrics (SSIM, NQM, MSSIM, FSIM, MAD and PSNR-HMA) using a set of 250 IR aerial images compressed at 4 levels with H.264/AVC as I-frames. For the SVR mapping, 80% of the contents are used for training (200 contents or 800 images) and the remaining 200 images (20%) for testing. We have evaluated our model for three cases; all features, only BB features and finally excluding BB features. The average SROCC values obtained are 0.970, 0.962 and 0.943, respectively. The BB only version achieves very close results to that of using all features. Thus the presented NR BB Image Quality Assessment (IQA) method for the considered IR image material is very ecient. We have compared our method with three NR methods [1, 2, 3]. The proposed method is competitive compared to the state-of-the-art NR algorithms.
Original languageEnglish
Title of host publicationProceedings of 2019 Data Compression Conference
PublisherIEEE
Publication date2019
Pages578-578
ISBN (Print)9781728106571
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2019
Event2019 Data Compression Conference: DCC 2019 - Cliff Lodge convention center, Salt Lake City , United States
Duration: 24 Mar 201927 Mar 2019
https://www.cs.brandeis.edu/~dcc/

Conference

Conference2019 Data Compression Conference
LocationCliff Lodge convention center
CountryUnited States
CitySalt Lake City
Period24/03/201927/03/2019
Internet address
SeriesData Compression Conference. Proceedings
ISSN1068-0314

Cite this

Hossain, K., Mantel, C., & Forchhammer, S. (2019). Evaluation of Prediction of Quality Metrics for IR Images for UAV Applications. In Proceedings of 2019 Data Compression Conference (pp. 578-578). IEEE. Data Compression Conference. Proceedings https://doi.org/10.1109/DCC.2019.00090