Haramaya Camel Dairy

  • Hansen, Egon Bech (Project Manager)
  • Qvist, Professor Karsten B. (Project Participant)
  • Ibsen, Professor Richard (Project Participant)
  • Kæstel, Associate professor Pernille (Project Participant)
  • Guya, Associate professor Mitiku Eshetu (Project Participant)

Project Details

Description

Milk production is the primary purpose of camel husbandry. Secondary purposes are meat production and transportation. The number of camels in the world ammounts to about 24 million, of which 89% are one-humped (Camelus dromedarius) and the remaining 11% are two-humped (Camelus bactrianus) camels (FAOSTAT, 2010). Ethiopia is estimated to have the third largest camel herd in the world after Somalia and Sudan. The number of camels in Ethiopia is estimated to 2.4 million of the dromedary type (FAOSTAT, 2009).
Although the total global production of camel milk equals half the Danish milk production it plays very little significance in the global economy, and the FAO statistics does not list any other camel dairy products than fresh whole milk. There is thus a great potential for initiating a significant value generation in countries struggling with poverty and droughts. As the primary production is already established, what is needed is to establish an infrastructure and to develop locally suitable dairy products in order to create a camel dairy industry. Dairy products based on camel milk can, however, not be developed just by technology transfer as camel milk differs more from bovine milk than milk from the four true ruminants (cows, buffaloes, sheep and goats) differ from each other.
With this project we will conduct the research needed for product development and establish the necessary scientific capacity at Haramaya University in eastern Ethiopia to support infrastructure and product development locally.
StatusFinished
Effective start/end date01/12/201231/12/2017