Methods and tools for systems engineering of computing systems. Present research covers embedded systems-on-a-chip, Cyber-Physical Systems (Internet-of-Things), microfluidic biochips (Lab-on-Chip) and synthetic biology (molecular computing). Emphasis is on design, modelling, analysis and optimisation of such systems, including the development of design automation tools and design methodologies. Has supervised 47 PhD students and is currently supervising 3 PhD students.
Honors, awards & funding
- Awarded DATE Fellow, 2019
- Awarded IEEE CEDA outstanding recognition, 2019.
- DTU’s Award for Scientific Advise (the DSB IC4 train braking incident investigation), 2013.
- Best Paper Awards, MECO 2013, CASES 2009
- Nominated for Research Project of the Year 2012, Biologically Inspired Hardware Cell Architecture.
- One paper in “The most influential papers of 10 years of DATE Conference”, 2008
- Jorck’s Foundation Research Award for outstanding research activities in HW/SW Codesign, 1995.
- Has since 2000 attracted national and EU funding for a total amount of 75+ mio DKK (DTUs share).
Selected professional activities
- 2020 – Member of Editorial Board of MDPI Micromachines
- 2020 – Co-Founder of Centre for Collaborative Autonomous Systems, DTU
- 2020 – National ICT Expert for Horizon Europe
- 2018 – Member of Scientific Advisory Board of Digital Innovation Hub (KU, CBS, ITU and DTU).
- 2018 – 2019 Health Technology Expert for the Innovation Expert Panel of New North Zealand Hospital.
- 2017 – Member of ATV (The Academy of Technical Sciences).
- 2017 – Member of the Steering Board of EDAA (Electronic Design Automation Association).
- 2016 – Co-Founder of the IoT Centre at DTU (now HI2OT Nordic Hub).
- 2016 – Member of the DTU Proof-of-Concept Committee.
- 2015 – Co-Founder and Member of the Management for CACHET (Copenhagen Centre for Health Technology).
- 2015 – 2020 National ICT expert for EU H2020.
- 2013 – 2017 Member of the review panel of the Swiss Research Program Nano-Tera.
- 2012 – Board Member and Co-founder of Danish Chapter of INCOSE (Intern. Council on Systems Engineering).
- 2012 – 2015 Member of steering group for ITOS (Systems Engineering, Industriens Fond)
- 2010 – 2016 Editorial Board of the IEEE journal “Design & Test”.
- 2009 – 2020 Member of the steering group of Infinit, Innovation Network for ICT.
- 2009 – 2016 Member of ARTEMIS-IA and its Strategic Research Agenda working group.
- 2008 – 2012 Member of the Governing Board of ARTEMIS JU (EU PPP Program).
- 2008 – 2011 Strategic Management Board for ArtistDesign (EU Network-of-Excellence, Embedded Systems).
- 2007 – 2009 Swedish Research Council (Vetenskapsrådet), Member of the Computer Science Panel.
- 2007 – Member of EDAA (Electronic Design Automation Association).
- 2005 – 2015 Member of the board of IEEE Denmark Section. Vice Chairman since 2009.
- 2005 – 2008 Member of the editorial board of the journal “IET Proceedings – Computers and Digital Techniques”.
- 3 Notification of Inventions related to Digital Microfluidics submitted to DTU TechTrans, 2020
- Inventor of patent notification, Mar 12, 2018. Smart wound dressing for early diagnosis of surgical site infection.
- Inventor of patent EPC 16203030.8-1371, Dec 16, 2016. Complementary pneumatic digital logic for on-chip control of microfluidic lab-on-a-chip devices.
- Patent no.: US 20110307734, Dec 15, 2011. Biologically Inspired Hardware Cell Architecture.
- Patent no.: EP 2370937, Oct 5, 2011. Biologically Inspired Hardware Cell Architecture.
- Inventor of patent WO/2010/060923, Biologically Inspired Hardware Cell Architecture, published 03.06.2010.
Chairing scientific events:
General Chair of DATE 2018, NOCS 2012, NORCHIP 2012, CODES 2001; General Vice Chair of DATE 2017; Program Chair of CODES+ISSS 2011, DATE 2007, CODES 2000; Vice-Program Chair DATE 2006; Tutorial Chair for DATE 2006; Workshop Chair for CODES+ISSS 2005.Member of conference Steering Committees CODES+ISSS since 2000, NOCS 2012-2015, NORCHIP 2003-2016. Member of the Technical Program Committee for numerous conferences.