Originally a biochemist turned bioinformatician, I combine my knowledge of microbiology, viruses, plasmids and bioinformatics. My key interest is the application of sequencing data to understand evolution in bacterial communities and the role of plasmids & viruses in bacterial evolution. I apply my findings to biological systems of interest to society such as antibiotic resistance and human diseases such as asthma.
- Sáenz, Johan S., Tamires Valim Marques, Rafael Simões Coelho Barone, José Eurico Possebon Cyrino, Susanne Kublik, Joseph Nesme, Michael Schloter, Susanne Rath, and Gisle Vestergaard. 2019. “Oral Administration of Antibiotics Increased the Potential Mobility of Bacterial Resistance Genes in the Gut of the Fish Piaractus Mesopotamicus.” Microbiome 7 (1).
- Schulze-Makuch, Dirk, Dirk Wagner, Samuel P. Kounaves, Kai Mangelsdorf, Kevin G. Devine, Jean-Pierre de Vera, Philippe Schmitt-Kopplin, et al. 2018. “Transitory Microbial Habitat in the Hyperarid Atacama Desert.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, February. National Academy of Sciences, 201714341.
- Milaković, Milena, Gisle Vestergaard, Juan J. González-Plaza, Ines Petrić, Ana Šimatović, Ivan Senta, Susanne Kublik, Michael Schloter, Kornelia Smalla, and Nikolina Udiković-Kolić. 2019. “Pollution from Azithromycin-Manufacturing Promotes Macrolide-Resistance Gene Propagation and Induces Spatial and Seasonal Bacterial Community Shifts in Receiving River Sediments.” Environment International 123 (February). Pergamon: 501–11.
- Treichel, Nicole Simone, Zala Prevoršek, Vesna Mrak, Matea Kostrić, Gisle Vestergaard, Bärbel Foesel, Stefan Pfeiffer, Blaž Stres, Anne Schöler, and Michael Schloter. 2019. “Effect of the Nursing Mother on the Gut Microbiome of the Offspring During Early Mouse Development.” Microbial Ecology, January. Springer US, 1–11.
- Madsen, Jonas S., Ole Hylling, Samuel Jacquiod, Sophia Pécastaings, Lars H. Hansen, Leise Riber, Gisle Vestergaard, and Søren J. Sørensen. 2018. “An Intriguing Relationship between the Cyclic Diguanylate Signaling System and Horizontal Gene Transfer.” The ISME Journal 12 (9). Nature Publishing Group: 2330–34.