The EcoGrid EU project proposal offers Europe a "fast track" evolution towards Smart Grid dissemination and deployment in the distributed electricity grid.
The aim is to contribute to the European 20-20-20 goals by showing that it is possible to operate a distribution power system (on the Danish island of Bornholm) with more than 50 % renewable energy sources (RES) making active use of new communication technology and innovative market solutions.
The EcoGrid EU concept will contribute to the operation of the transmission system by offering the TSOs additional balancing and ancillary services. EcoGrid EU is a large-scale demonstration of a complete power system including the following key elements:
- The total distributed grid with all resources up to 60 kV, 28.000 customers, 55 MW peak load, 268 GWh electricity consumption and 500 GWh heat demand
- All distributed RES including wind power, photo voltaic, biomass, biogas, five units with heat accumulation tanks for district heating and electric vehicles (EVs)
- ICT systems and a new information architecture allowing all units of distributed energy resources (RES) and demand response (DR) to participate in the power market. There will be a communication and information system and new operational procedures
- Full market participation utilizing all parts of the existing power market and developing a new near real-time market for deliverance of ancillary services both from RES and DR
- "Smart" Meters, "Smart" Controllers and E-mobility by using electric vehicles as an integrated part of the total concept
- Storage of energy will be demonstrated using heat appliances as well as batteries of the electric vehicles
The EcoGrid EU-project will combine knowledge from previous EU funded projects into a large-scale demonstration where the outcome is substantial contribution to a "Road map for European Smart Grids deployment".
|Period||01/04/2011 → 30/09/2015|
|Financing source||EU research programme (public)|
|Research programme||EU FP7|
|Amount||178,725,000.00 Danish Kroner|
Activity: Appearance in mass media › Participation in Interview for Printed Media