|1989 - 1995||BSc+MSc in Marine Biology and Fisheries - University of Algarve (PT)|
|1996 - 1997||Post-Graduation in Environmental Management of Coastal Areas - University of Algarve (PT)|
|2010 - 2012||MSc in Environmental Engineering - Technical University of Denmark (DTU)|
|2012 - 2016||PhD in Life Cycle Impact Assessment - Technical University of Denmark (DTU)|
MSc in Environmental Engineering
Post-Graduation in Environmental Management
BSc+MSc in Marine Biology
|1995 - 1998||Project Manager - ASA Environmental Management Lda (PT)|
|1999 - 2005||Project Manager and Researcher in EU R&D projects (ISQ (PT)) - Instituto de Soldadura e Qualidade, Sustainable Development Division|
|2006 - 2010||Head of the International Environmental Studies Unit and Environmental Projects Manager (ISQ (PT)) - Instituto de Soldadura e Qualidade, Sustainable Development Division|
|2012 - 2013||Research Assistant (DTU-MAN, QSA) - Technical University of Denmark, Department of Management Engineering, Division for Quantitative Sustainability Assessment|
Presently holds the position of PhD fellow at the Quantitative
Sustainability Assessment Division (QSA) of the Department of
Management Engineering (MAN) - Technical University of Denmark
(DTU): 2012-2016 (expected). Research focus: Modelling of N and P
cycles for Inventory and characterisation of marine eutrophication
Held the position of Research Assistant at the Department of Management Engineering (DTU-MAN) in the Division for Quantitative Sustainability Assessment (QSA) of the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) in the period 09/2012-05/2013. Collaboration in the FP7 EU project LC-IMPACT (development and application of environmental Life Cycle Impact assessment Methods for imProved sustAinability Characterisation of Technologies - www.lc-impact.eu) responsible for:
- Task 3.1. Marine eutrophication - delivering Characterisation Factors and a Damage Model;
- Task 4.1. Paper production and printing - delivering an LCA study on paper and printed matter.
Experience as Environmental Specialist and Projects Manager, with 10+ years of international experience in various industrial an environmental topics. Main focus on industrial environmental assessments and oil industry environmental impacts.
Held the position of Head of the International Environmental Studies Unit at ISQ (HQ in Portugal) from 2006 to 2010 and R&D researcher before that (1999-2005).
- Endpoint Modelling of Marine Eutrophication in LCIA
- Life Cycle Impact Assessment
- Life Cycle Assessment
- Environmental Impact Assessment and Industrial Auditing
- Environmental Management
Research activities in the following EU R&D projects:
- LC-IMPACT (development and application of environmental Life Cycle Impact assessment Methods for imProved sustAinability Characterisation of Technologies - Life Cycle Assessment)
- TREBAWA (Treatment of Ballast Water - shipbuilding industry and ecology - IMO guidelines)
- TRANSCAT (DSS for Integrated Water Management of Transboundary Catchments - scientific and administration governmental bodies - EU water legislation)
- ECOZONE (Ecological Manufacturing of Pulp using Ozone - pulp and paper industry, treatment technologies)
- WELD-OZONE (Measurement and control of ozone emissions during welding and allied processes)
- RUE-SYNERGY (Assessment of rational use of energy opportunities in Cape Verde - fish food industry, fishing industry)
Environmental specialist and project management tasks in:
- Technical and economical feasibility study for a slops treatment unit in Angola;
- Design and project implementation of an incinerator unit and hazardous wastes landfill in Angola - applied quality standards: EU legislation on wastewater, gaseous emissions and landfills;
- Environmental senior consultant for Sonangol Logistics (fuels storage and distribution) - Angola;
- Environmental Assessment of the implementation of Project Aldeia Nova in Angola (agro-industrial project for animal production, agricultural production, and food processing) - applied quality standards: EU legislation on wastewater, solid wastes, gaseous emissions, EHS;
- Marine Environment Impacts Assessment of the construction of a Spool Base Jetty in Angola;
- Environmental Impact Assessments - ecology, conservation and environment on the oil industry, and construction projects in Angola;
- Implementation of environmental rehabilitation techniques of oil contaminated soils in Angola.
- Cosme N, Larsen HF, Hauschild MZ. 2013. Spatially-explicit LCIA endpoint model for marine eutrophication and application to future climatic-driven pressures. All at Sea: An integrated approach to research in the coastal zone. 4-5 July, University of York, UK.
- Cosme N, Larsen HF, Hauschild MZ. 2013. Endpoint characterisation modelling for marine eutrophication in LCA. SETAC Europe 23rd Annual Meeting, 12-16 May, Glasgow, Scotland.
- Cosme N. 2012. Decision supporting tool based on LCIA marine eutrophication damage model. Poster - Proceedings of the Groen Dyst 2012, 22 June, DTU, Kongens Lyngby, Denmark.
- Larsen HF, Cosme N, Yang G. 2012. Global life cycle impact assessment on marine eutrophication. Presented by HF Larsen at SETAC Europe 22nd Annual Meeting, 20-24 May, Berlin, Germany.
- Lopes ED, Cosme N. 2006. Corporate Social Responsibility - a case study in Angola. NASA International Workshop on Pollution and Sustainable Development, 1-2 November, Colorado Springs, USA.
- Cosme N. 2005. Land rehabilitation after decommissioning of onshore oil fields - a case study. Awarded Poster - European Summer School on "Innovative Approaches to the Bioremediation of Contaminated Sites", 7-11 September, Bologna, Italy. Fabio Fava and Pietro Canepa (Eds.), Soil Remediation Series N.6: 384-385.
- Cosme N, Gomes J. 2005. A case study for the prevention of pollutant migration in pyrite cinders deposits. Poster - European Summer School on "Innovative Approaches to the Bioremediation of Contaminated Sites", 7-11 September, Bologna, Italy. Fabio Fava and Pietro Canepa (Eds.), Soil Remediation Series N.6: 400.
- Ascenco CG, Gomes JFP, Cosme NM, Miranda RM. 2005. Analysis of welding fume: A short note on the comparison between two sampling techniques. Toxicological and Environmental Chemistry 87(1-4): 345-349.
- Olay A, Cosme N, Alvarez R, Sousa S, Loredo J, Estrela M. 2004. Environmental data on a case study from the Transboundary Catchment of Guadiana River. Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Transboundary Waters Management, 15-18 November, Tucson, USA.
- Cosme N, Sousa S, Estrela M, Olay A, Alvarez R, Loredo J. 2004. Environmental data on a case study from the Transboundary Catchment of Guadiana River. Proceedings of the Conference "GI for International River Basin Management in the Danube Basin", 3-5 June, Budapest, Hungary, p.179-186.
- Olay A, Cosme N, Alvarez, R, Sousa S, Loredo J, Estrela M. 2004. Interaction between climatic conditions and water pollution - a case study from the transboundary catchment of Guadiana River. Proceedings of the Conference "Integrated Water Management of Transboundary Catchments", 24-26 March, Venice, Italy.
- Martins A, Cosme N, Gomes J. 2003. Control of filamentous bacteria in activated sludge systems. Tecnologia da Agua 13: 52-58.
- Martins A, Cosme N, Gomes J, VanLosdrecht M. 2002. Sustainable treatment processes in wastewater with nutrient removal. Proceedings of X ENaSB/SILUBESA, Braga, Portugal.
Final evaluation of the newly developed characterisation and normalisation factors in an LCA case study - Paper production and printing
Publication: Research › Report – Annual report year: 2013
Recommended assessment framework, method and characterisation and normalisation factors for ecosystem impacts of eutrophying emissions: phase 3 (report, model and factors)
Publication: Research › Report – Annual report year: 2013
Spatially-explicit LCIA endpoint model for marine eutrophication and application to future climatic-driven pressures
Publication: Research › Sound/Visual production (digital) – Annual report year: 2013
Latest activities and conferences