I was born in Genova, Italy, on March 31st 1983. I received my B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees in Electrical Engineering from the University of Genova in 2005 and 2007. In March 2011 I achieved the Ph.D. degree in power systems with a thesis related to the wind and storage modeling and integrated control. Since September 2012 I am with DTU. My research interests regard power system integration studies, wind and solar data analysis, demand side management, distributed generators and electrochemical storages modeling.
I received my B.Sc. degree in Electrical Engineering in February 2005, with a thesis about "Characterization of a monophase power transformer", and my M.Sc. in E.E. in October 2007 cum laude, with a thesis about "Wind generators modelling and their integration in the transmission network" both from the University of Genova.
In November 2007, I joined the Intelligent Electrical Energy
System Laboratory and in January 2008 started the Ph.D. under the
supervision of Prof. Stefano Massucco, University of Genova. During
the Ph.D I have been working in several research projects in
collaboration with the Enel Research Centre of Pisa and other
Italian Universities, mainly: "Smartgrid Project:
automation and control of energy systems" and
"Modeling and optimization systems for the integration of
renewable energy generation and energy storage systems". I
have realized several distributed resources models and performed
power systems studies using mainly DIgSILENT Powerfactory and
I have spent my Ph.D. external stay in Eirgrid, Dublin, between May and Sepetmber 2010 with a project concerning "Offshore expansion study and wind turbine dynamic analysis".
In March 2011, I got the Ph.D. degree, with European Label, in power systems with a thesis related to "Wind turbine and electrochemical based storage modeling and integrated control strategies to improve renewable energy integration in the grid".
Since January 2011 until August 2012, I have been working as postdoc and have been mainly involved in the National research project "Smartgen", concerning electric power and control system solutions for an intelligent management of generation and demand in active distribution networks. I have spent 3 periods of 2 weeks in May and November 2011 and March 2012 in DTU Risø Campus within the EU FP7 Derri project, where I had the chance to study and validate some of the models developed during the Ph.D, using the SYSLAB test facility. During the nearly 5 years of research experience in the University of Genova, I have been also co-supervising 4 M.Sc. and 1 B.Sc. thesis and holding 40 hours of lectures in power systems courses.
From October 2010 to August 2012, I have also been doing part-time private consultancy: design of small size photovoltaic power plants and technical-economical evaluation for the energy efficiency improvement of buildings. I have realized 3 PV plants for a total capacity of 103 kWp and done the preliminary sizing of other 6 plants for a total capacity of 290 kWp.
In September 2012, I joined the Center for Electric Power and Energy of the DTU as postdoc. I am working in the following projects:
- PECD - Pan European Climate Data. Started in November 2012 and lasted until April 2013. ENTSO-E funded project, in collaboration with DTU Wind Energy, which aimed at evaluating photovoltaic and wind hourly production on regional scale in the whole Europe. My contribution regarded the modeling and the computation of the photovoltaic data series.
- Nikola Project. Started in March 2013 and lasting till June 2016. ForskEl funded project, which aims at investigating and demonstrating a broad set of smart charging concepts that should minimize the cost of Electric Vehicle integration and maximize the value for EV owners and power system. Currently leading WP2, whose object is to mitigate adverse effects of introducing various types of distributed energy resources into the distribution grid and applying new control concept for their active interaction with EVs.
- ESVM - Energy Saving by Voltage Management (Aug. 2013 - Aug. 2015) - EUDP funded project. The main objective of this project is to develop and demonstrate two new energy optimization units whose aims are the reduction of the private household consumption and the improvement of distribution network power quality.
- Cotevos - Concepts, Capacities and Methods for Testing EV systems and their interoperability within the Smartgrids (Sep. 2013 - Mar. 2016). European FP7 funded project, which deals with electric vehicles interoperability and charging standards and their interaction with the electric network. The project is still in its initial phase and my focus will be mainly related to integration and standard aspects of EVs in the electric network.
- ELECTRA - European Liaison on Electricity grid Committed Towards long-term Research Activities (Dec. 2013 - Nov 2017). European FP7 funded IRP project, whose main goal is to reinforce the EERA Joint Programme on Smart Grids activity and to support the realization of the European SET Plan objectives. The EERA JP on Smart Grids intends to facilitate and encourage European coordination of member state research in the domain of Smart Grids. Within EERA JP activities, we are currently leading one of the 5 Sub-Programmes (SP2 on energy management).
Since January 2013 until December 2013, I have been involved in the organization of the 4th Innovative Smart Grid Technologies, held at the Lyngby Campus of DTU on October 6-9: the premier European Conference in the field of Smart Grid with nearly 450 participants. I have also been the Scientific Publication Chair, managing and supervising the overall paper revision process (558 extended abstracts submitted and 254 published full papers).
|01-0 - 28-0||European PhD in Electrical Engineering - University of Genoa|
|01-0 - 30-1||Master Degree in Electrical Engineering - University of Genoa|
|01-0 - 23-0||Bachelor Degree in Electrical Engineering - University of Genoa|
|03-0 -||Postdoc (DTU) - Technical University of Denmark, Center for Electrical Power and Energy|
|01-0 - 31-0||Photovoltaic Designer - Self Employed|
|01-0 - 31-0||Postdoc - University of Genoa, Department of Electrical Engineering|
|01-0 - 31-1||PhD Student - University of Genoa, Department of Electrical Engineering|
|01-1 - 31-1||Research Assistant - University of Genoa, Department of Electrical Engineering|
Postdoc in the Center for Electrical Power and Energy of the DTU Riso Campus. My research interests regard wind and solar data analysis, demand side management, distributed generators and electrochemical storages modeling and power systems integration studies.
Visiting PhD Student in Eirgrid (Dublin) - PhD partnership
Period: May-September 2010
Power system studies done in the Irish network in a scenario with an high percentage of wind power: frequency stability with different level of wind penetration, analyzing the possible contribution to the system security by the provision of inertial response and primary power frequency control by wind turbines
Visiting Researcher in DTU Riso Campus (Roskilde) - DERri Project
Period: May 2011; November 2011; March 2012
Testing of control strategies of a microgrid formed by a Vanadium Storage and a wind turbine, both connected to and islanded from the main network. Validation of dynamic model of the Vanadium Storage model developed in the PhD thesis.
4th IEEE ISGT Europe 2013 Conference - Scientific Publication Chair
European PhD Label (March 2011).
Member of IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers) since 2010.
Member of AEIT (Italian Federation of Electrotechnic, Electronics, Automation, Information and Communication Technology) since 2007.
Member of the Professional Italian Engineers Order of the Province of Genoa since 2009.
Publication: Research - peer-review › Journal article – Annual report year: 2014
Experimental Testing Procedures and Dynamic Model Validation for Vanadium Redox Flow Battery Storage System
Publication: Research - peer-review › Journal article – Annual report year: 2014
Domestic Refrigerators Temperature Prediction Strategy for the Evaluation of the Expected Power Consumption
Publication: Research - peer-review › Article in proceedings – Annual report year: 2013
Federazione Italiana Elettrotecnica, Elettronica, Automazione, Informatica e Telecomunicazioni, Italy
FI (2012): 1, ISI indexed (2012): no
ISSNs: 0378-7753, 03787753
Elsevier S.A., Switzerland
FI (2012): 1, ISI indexed (2012): yes
EditoreFiera Milano SpA, Italy
ISI indexed (2012): no
Latest activities and conferences