Head of the Molecular Windows research group. Working on developing novel tools based on micro- and nanofabricated devices for high resolution imaging with light and electron microscopes in order to provide new insights into biological, physical and chemical processes on the nanoscale.
- Full Name: Kristian Mølhave
- Home address:Taarbæk Strandvej 59P, 1.tv, 2930 Klampenborg, Denmark
- Mobile phone 0045 2512 6672
- Date of birth: 4th December 1973
- Personal website: www.kristian.molhave.dk
- Primary languages: Danish and English
- Secondary languages: Spanish, German, and French.
- 2013… Leader of the strategic research field “energy, environment and security” at the Dept. of Micro and Nanotechnology, DTU.
- 2008 … Associate Professor at DTU-Nanotech
- 2009-… founded and leading the Molecular Windows research
Website: www.nanotech.dtu.dk/mowin .
Main Research Interest: Working on developing novel tools based on micro- and nanofabricated devices for high resolution imaging with light and electron microscopes in order to provide new insights into biological, physical and chemical processes on the nanoscale.
- Part time E-Learning consultant working at LearningLab DTU, developing IT solutions for teaching (1.9.2010 - 01.01.2012).
- Assistant Professor at
- DTU-Nanotech (1.4-31.07.2008) in the Nanointegration group, working with electron microscopy of biological and liquid samples.
- MIC, DTU (1.2.07-31.03.2008) in the Optofluidics Group, working with micro and nanooptics.
- MIC, DTU (1.2.05-1.2.07) working on nanowire integration in microsystems, a 2-year "talent project"; NAMIC granted by the FTP.
- MIC, DTU. (1.7-30.9.04) working on nanomanipulation.
- Post Doc at the Nanometer Consortium at the Solid State Physics Department, Lund University (1.10-31.12.04).
- Research assistant at
- Division Microrobotics and Control Engineering (AMiR), University of Oldenburg, Germany (1.2-1.5.04). Worked on in-situ SEM nanomanipulation systems for the ASSEMIC project.
- Institute of Physics and Astronomy, Aarhus (1.7.00-1.2.01), working at the Ion Trap Group (http://www.phys.au.dk/iontrap) with a pulse excited linear Paul trap.
- University of Konstanz and University of Düsseldorf, Germany (1.2-1.5.00) in the Quantum Optics and Relativity Group of Prof. S. Schiller. Worked on the construction of an ion trap for molecular ions.
- Ph.D. (Physics/Nanotechnology), July 2004 from the Technical University of Denmark. Thesis " Tools for in-situ manipulation and characterisation of nanostructures"
- M.Sc. (physics and chemistry), March 2000 from Aarhus
Masters thesis " Construction of and Experiments with a Linear Paul Trap"
- Upper Secondary School/ High School, Risskov Amtsgymnasium (1992).
- DTU leader education (DTUs lederprogram 2012)
- Coach education from Manning-Inspire 2012
- Education in University Teaching at DTU, UDTU.
- DTU-SVUD education for supervision of assistant professors
- DTU courses: “Fra forsker til leder”; “PH.D. vejledning”; “Den svære samtale / coaching”
Peer Reviewed Publications:
- ISI: 66 papers, 1000+ citations, and H-index 19.
- Automatically updated publication list on DTU-Orbit.
- ReseracherID B-9209-2008
- Link to personal homepage with PDF files of publications
- Patent WO2006046924 by Kristian Molhave & Nanofactory AB. Granted Patent sold to Nanofactory AB: WO2006046924-A1; US2007278420-A1; US7586105-B2, “Nano or micro gripping device for transmission electron microscope”.
- Granted Patent WO2013037951-A1 “Method of depositing catalyst” by R. Wierzbicki, P.Bøggild and K. Mølhave.
- PCT Application EP2626884-A1 on “Microfluidic chip for transmission electron microscopy…” by K Molhave and E Jensen
- PCT Application 2013 by A Ghazal, K Molhave, W Svendsen.
- 2013 Talks at Scandem 2013, CPHU (Invited), and Microscopy and Microanalysis 2013, Indianapolis USA (Invited)
- 2012 “In Situ Microscopy workshop” , Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (Invited)
- 2011: FEMMS 2011, Ca, USA (Invited).
- 2010: Talk at Microscopy and Microanalysis 2010, Portland, Oregon, USA (Invited). Public lecture on national TV ' Danskernes Akademi'
- 2007: Talk at Microscopy and Microanalysis M&M2007, Ft. Lauderdale USA (Invited); and at Southern Danish University (Invited).
- 2006: Talk at Copenhagen University (Invited); Veeco User Meeting, Goteborg (Invited); EBID workshop, Delft.
- 2005: Talk at Nano2life NBDA conference, Grenoble(Invited); Danish Physical Society Annual Meeting; Copenhagen university (Invited); Århus University (Invited).
- 2003: Talk at Clemson University (Invited).
- 2015 Main Organizer of Sustain DTU with ~340 participants. www.sustain.dtu.dk
- 2014 Initiated and main Organizer of Sustain DTU with ~230 participants
- 2014 conference organizer with Niels De Jonge CISCEM 2014
- 2013 Conference co-organizer Scandem 2013. Chaired sessions on “SEM and Dual Beam” and “In-situ Microscopy”
- 2008: Organizer/Chair of the workshop "Explorative Electron Microscopy of Nanoparticles in Cells - tageted labelling, therapy, and toxicology" at the Scandem 2008 conference.
- The McKinsey & Company Initiative Award 2003 for starting the Science Show
Films & Books
- Book chapter with E. Jensen in book edited by Frances Ross.
- Book chapter with S. Canepa et al in book edited by Jakob Wagner.
- Book chapter "Droplet based cavities and lasers" by K Mølhave, A Kristensen, N A Mortensen, in "Advanced photonic structures for biological chemical sensing" by Springer (Editor: Xudong Fan)
- Book chapter 'Nanoteknologi i Billeder' on Nanoscale Microscopy, in 'Nanoteknologiske Horisonter' p. 15-31. By J B Wagner, K Mølhave, J H Nielsen, R Dunin-borkowski
- Working on several wikibook.org projects e.g. The Teachers Toolbox about teaching methods.
- “Nanoværkstedet” (The nanoworkshop) Naturens Verden No 11/12 38-53 (2004) by P Bøggild and K Mølhave.
- DVD: IndiensPortalen - funded by the Danish Ministry of Education. An educational DVD containing 2 documentaries, where I contributed as cameraman, coproducer and the DVD layout. Mumbai Mosaic 2003 (60 min), Kurveflettere og murstensarbejdere (10 min). The DVD is a part of the project "Portal To India" for high school level education about India (www.Indiensportalen.emu.dk).
- Book: "Non-Harming - the Jain Art of Living" by A. Gangar, K. Gangar, B. Mølhave and K. Mølhave. Published by Systime 1999, funded by the Danish Ministry of Education. See www.systime.dk.
- Produced various videos mainly for introductions and teaching, for the Institute of Environmental and Occupational medicine, Aarhus (1996).
- Six documentaries on Hinduism and life in contemporary India by B. Mølhave and K. Mølhave, published by Systime 1995, funded by the Danish Ministry of Education.
Research project funding
- DFF Sapere Aude project "LiquidEM - Electron microscopy of processes in liquids". Project leader, supervisor of post docs and phds. (2013-2016). Budget 0.9 Mio Euro. Danish Research Council for Technology and Production Case No. 12-126194.
- Danish Nanosafety Centre http://www.arbejdsmiljoforskning.dk/da/projekter/dansk-center-for-nanosikkerhed lead by Prof. Ulla Vogel. Member of steering committee and main supervisor of PhD student on aerosol measurments. Funded by the Danish Work Research Foundation ca. 4 Mio euro;.1.5.2012-30.4.2015).
- PhD Project: "Imaging Cells interactions with Nanostructures" with Carsten Købler. Main supervisor.
- FTP Project "Nano-Live" on Imaging Nanoelectronics Live by Transmission Electron Microscopy. Project leader, supervisor of post doc and phd. Budget: 5.7Mdkk, (1.1.11-31.12.14) Danish Research Council for Technology and Production Case No. 10-082797
- EU project "FP7-Nanolyse" - Nanoparticles in Food: Analytical methods for detection and characterisation (01.01.2010-30.09.2013), - Co-supervising PhD student.
- EU project FP7-Technotubes (Technology for Wafer-Scale Carbon Nanotube Applications) (2009-2012) - Grant agreement no.: CP-IP 228579-1- Main supervisor PhD student.
- DTU PhD project with DTU Center for Electron Nanoscopy (2009-2012), "Electron Microscopy of Liquid Processes" Main Supervisor.
- EU project FP7-NMP-2007-SMALL "NanoScale - Understanding interactions between cells and nanopatterned surfaces". (1.7.08-1.7.11). Member of steering comittee and leader of DTUs workpackages, main and co-supervisor of PhD students.
- FTP Talentprojekt "Characterization and Fabrication of Nanowire-Microstructure devices"; Project leader. Budget: 200.000 euro;, (1.2.05-1.2.07) Danish Research Council for Technology and Production Case No. 26-04-0258.
Post doc Supervision:
- Hongyu Sun 2015-2018
- Eric Jensen 2012 – 2014
- Duc The Ngo 2013-2014
- Rafal Wierzbicki 2014-2015
Main Supervisor of Ph.D. students:
- Murat Nulati Yesiboltai 2015-2018 with Poul Norby and Harry Hoster (TUM Create/NTU)
- Simone Lagana 2014-2017 with Erling Stenby and Andy Burrows.
- Silvia Canepa 2014-2017 with Jens Ulstrup and Jakob Wagner.
- Rolf Erling Robberstad Møller-Nilsen 2012-2015 with Poul Norby and Jakob Wagner “In situ TEM studies of battery processes”
- Marcus Levin 2012-2015 with Ismo Kalevi Koponen and Keld Alstrup Jensen “Udvikling af on-line målinger af nanopartikler i luft og eksponeringsmålinger i arbejdsmiljøet.”
- Carsten Købler 2011-2014 with Ulla Vogel and Klaus Qvortrup.
- Sardar Bilal, 2011-2014, with Ole Hansen, "In-situ TEM studies of nanoelectronics"
- Rafal Wierzbicki, 2009-2012 with Peter Bøggild, "Carbon based nanomaterials for electrochemical measurements on cells"
- Eric Jensen, 2009-2012 with Rafal Dunin-Borkowski, "Electron Microscopy of Liquid Processes "
- Cristian Gradinaru, 2008-2011 with Henrik Flyvbjerg, "Modeling and Understanding Complex Motion".
Co-Supervision of Ph.D. students:
- Filippo Pizzocchero 2011-2013, co-supervisor,"Graphene as electrodes for molecular electronics" with Peter Bøggild.
- Agnieszka Dudkiewicz 2010-2014, co-supervisor."Nanoparticles in Food: Electron microscopy methods for detection and characterisation"
- Joanna Lopacinska, 2008-2011 with Martin Dufva and Jenny Emneus, "Biocompatibility studies of cells grown in close proximity of nanostructures in cell culture chips"
- Christian Kallesøe, 2006-2009 with Peter Bøggild, "Integration of molecular electronics in microsystems by epitaxially grown nanowires"
- Özlem Sardan, 2006-2009 with Peter Bøggild, "Design and Fabrication of Microactuators for Nanomanipulation"
- University Teaching
- 2013... “NTU-RPI-DTU Innovation Workshop” 5 ECTS. Cross university course on emerging energy applications of nanotechnology held at DTU and Nanyang Technological University, with Tim Booth and teachers from NTU.
- 2012...: Teacher in DTU Course 33323 Nano-1: Introduktion til nanoteknologi, 5 ECTS with Winnie Svendsen.
- 2014…: Teacher in DTU Course 42348 Sustainable development of emerging technologies, with Stig Irving Olsen
- 2012-13: Teacher in DTU course 42343 Nanotechnology, design, society and environment, 5 ECTS, with Stig Irving Olsen; Michael Søgaard Jørgensen.
- 2011-13: Teacher in the course Supervision of larger projects for supervisors, with Miriam Godskesen.
- 2005-6: Developed and taught the "Nanooptics Case" in the Course "Nano2" at DTU (2005, with K N Andersen, 2006 with K.N Andersen and P. U Jensen).
Aarhus University Hospital, on "Design, production and testing of imaging probes" in the Ph.D. course "Molecular Imaging and Therapy
- Additional Teaching experience
- English teacher at various schools in Wuhan City, China (3 months 1995).
- Taught conversation classes in a private English institute, IALI, Argentina (6 months 1995).
- Peer-coaching of UDTU participants
- Supervision Masters Students
- Esben Kirk Mikkelsen 2016 "Microfluidic chip for cryo-electron microscopy"
- Aage Andreas Sloth Nilausen 2015 “Suspended Nanowire Devices”
- Lean G Pedersen, 2012, Characterization of SiNW by SEM and Impedance with Winnie Svendsen and Karen Martinez
- Carsten Købler, 2011, Scanning electron microscopy of cells and liquid samples
- Thomas Kjøller Nellemann, 2009, Electron Microscopy of frozen events in liquids
- Martin Toft Madsen, 2009, Microscopy of Cells on Nanostructured Substrates
- Lixia Wang, 2006 Polymer Thin-film's Thickness Measurements by Atomic Force Microscopy
- Christan Kallesøe, 2006, Nanogap structures for molecular electronics
- Dirch Hjort Petersen, 2006 High aspect ratio silicon beam fabrication and large scale nanowire integration
- Søren Dohn, 2003, Investigation of mechano-electrical properties of multi-walled carbon nanotubes
- Supervision of BSc students
- Michael Beck 2014 "Development of System for Generating Agglomerate Test Aerosols"
- Sofie Colding-Jørgensen 2014 “Development of Methods for In-situ Observations of Copper Plating and Dissolution”
- Sigurd Truelsen 2012 “Fabrication and test of microelectrode array devices” with Arto Heiskanen and Rafal Wierzbicki
- Claus Agerskov 2012 “Development of microelectrode cantilever array devices for electrophysiological measurements” With Jens Midtgaard and Rafal Wierzbicki.
- Aage Andreas Sloth Nilausen 2012 “Microfabricated Chips for In- situ TEM Microscopy”
- Søren Matthias Goldschmidt, 2010, Alge Mikrokultur System,
- Niels Brehm Nielsen, 2010, Microfluidic gradient generator
- Mikkel Ravn Boye Jensen, 2010, Optimizing Cell Embedding for FIB-SEM
- Christian Fink Elkjær and Jakob Lyager Rasmussen, 2009, Fabrication and Test of Chips for Electron Microscopy of Processes in Liquids
- Member of organizing commitee for Gron Dyst http://www.groendyst.dtu.dk/ - DTUs student conference on green technology (ca 300 participants), 2010, 2012, 2014.
Reviews & Refereeing
- Editorial board member of the journal ISRN Nanotechnology
- Project Reviewer for Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Research Foundation), Portugese FCT I.P. - Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia I.P. and the Israeli Science Foundation (ISF). The Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO).
- Reviewer for Nano Letters, Small, PNAS and other journals.
- Started Nanoshow.dtu.dk - an initiative for developing new teaching material for schools on nanotechnology.
- Started the DTU Science Show - and outreach project run by students supported by DTU. See www.scienceshow.dtu.dk. More than 40.000 spectators by 2012.
- Started the Physics Show at the Institute of Physics and Astronomy, Aarhus, together with Klaus Seiersen. See www.fysikshow.dk. More than 90.000 spectators by 2012.
- Various programming and website editing jobs (1999-2000); part time laboratory technician (1993-95) at the Institute of Environmental and Occupational Medicine, Aarhus University.
- "Technology Scout" for the Patent office at the Danish Institute of Technology (1997-1998).
- Translator and co-editor of publications at Bombays International Film Festival (1996).
- Cabin boy on the Ministry of trade and Shipping training ship Lars A. Kruse (1995).
- Leader and coach of junior and adult sailors at Aarhus Sail Club (1993-94).
- Tutor for new students at the Institute of Chemistry, Aarhus (1993-94).
- Training and work as forest worker (1992-93).
Developing methods for In-situ TEM and potential studies in energy storage, electrochemistry, material science, and bioscience etc.
Publication: Research - peer-review › Conference abstract in proceedings – Annual report year: 2015
Publication: Research - peer-review › Conference abstract in proceedings – Annual report year: 2015
Influence of relative humidity and physical load during storage on dustiness of inorganic nanomaterials: implications for testing and risk assessment
Publication: Research - peer-review › Journal article – Annual report year: 2015
Activity: Lecture and oral contribution
ISSNs: 0957-4484, 0957-4484
Additional searchable ISSN (Electronic): 1361-6528
Institute of Physics Publishing, United Kingdom
BFI (2015): BFI-level 2, ISI indexed (2013): ISI indexed yes
ISSNs: 1530-6984, 1530-6984
Additional searchable ISSN (Electronic): 1530-6992
American Chemical Society, United States
BFI (2015): BFI-level 2, ISI indexed (2013): ISI indexed yes
Additional searchable ISSN (Electronic): 1435-8115
Cambridge University Press, United Kingdom
BFI (2015): BFI-level 1, ISI indexed (2013): ISI indexed yes
Place of employment
Latest activities and conferences